Monday, October 25, 2010

Post #4 Muhammad Ali

i decided i'm doing my essay on Muhammad Ali. Muhammad Ali was a former boxing heavyweight champion. When he was being drafted into the army he refused to go. He did this because of his religious views. Because of his strong belief he was stripped of his title. He preached a lot at colleges and universities gaining more support. Another reason he didn't want to fight in the army was because he said that the vietcong did not do anything to him. And that fighting for america would be like fighting for the white man.
I'm interested in this because his belief was so strong that he even risked going to prison for a long time, as he says in the packet, "Art, Politics, Protest" in the article, "Clay Refuses Army Oath; Stripped of Boxing Crown", "It is in the light of my consciousness as a Muslim minister and my own personal convictions that i take my stand in rejecting the call to be inducted in the armed services. I do so with full realization of its implications and possible consequences. I have searched my conscience and i find i cannot be true to my belief in my religion by accepting such a call." Muhammad Ali stuck to his beliefs and went a lot of years without boxing fighting for justice.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris - As we discussed I think this is a great topic - I look forward to reading your update and about the sources you've found. Think about how you'd cite the source you've mentioned: what is the source, who is being quoted, and what is relationship between the two?

    ReplyDelete